Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
22 September, 2024, 01:35:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk     -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Coupe running rich  (Read 489 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2024, 11:45:08 AM »

Thanks Tim, that’s very helpful. As ever you are a font of knowledge.

Regarding sooty plugs, which is a pretty good description of mine, I recently increased the size of my idle jets to 49, so that wouldn’t have helped, but is there way of making the tickover mixture leaner?

I’ll try to take the car out soon and see what the plugs look like after run at a reasonable speed. I understand the best way is to put it into neutral then turn the engine off and coast to a stop to avoid any chance of sooting up at low revs.

I’m starting to appreciate why fuel injection was invented!
You really want to eliminate the sooty plugs first!!! Before seeing if main jet is correct (it will be). Regardless of idle  jet size the mix is set at idle through the 4 idle mix screws.... Everything has to be correct (valve timing, ignition timing,  synchronization, tappets) and it is an iterative process between synch and mix.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2024, 11:47:03 AM »

Tim, thanks for the advice. I have added a second copper washer to the float valves, lowering them a bit and hence reducing the petrol level. This has made a big difference, the spark plugs are now perfect although it does mean I need to use the choke to start from cold. It just shows how sensitive these Solex carbs are!

On a completely different issue, the car is going in to a local tyre shop/garage for a steering alignment check using their Hunter Hawkeye Elite 3D machine. They have obtained the data for a Fulvia Coupe which is great, the alignment had previously been done by another garage after the rebuild but I had little confidence in them and the car felt worse after they had fiddled with it than before. The main issue is lack of self-centering which I understand to be the caster angle. Not that it is adjustable of course, but I would like to see all of the figures. Maybe just setting the tracking properly will help. I shall keep you posted!

I have never needed to resort to hi tech to check steering alignment. Only  adjust toe out 1-3mm (using sticks or string...). Unless you believe ther car has been in an accident and damged the chassis.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator