Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
26 June, 2024, 08:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiator overflow  (Read 826 times)
Nigel1967

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2024, 10:01:29 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the advise as always.
Took the car out and all back to normal.  The water loss  must have been the self levelling after the overfilling.
One thing my car has always done is run with the temperature needle just past 70 , it then moves towards 85 before dropping back which it does all the time.
I do have an oil cooler so not sure that makes any difference or it could be the thermostat simply opening and closing?
Off to Le Mans next week so i'll take a spare  thermostat just in case..
Best
Nigel.
Spider2

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2024, 01:16:47 PM »

I have never been able to remove the thermostat from the housing so I have invested in a spare housing and stat. Is there a trick or special tool to remove the stat?
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2024, 02:30:10 PM »

I have never been able to remove the thermostat from the housing so I have invested in a spare housing and stat. Is there a trick or special tool to remove the stat?

m
l changed the original on my series1 2c, 20+ Years ago, after removing hose  housing I clamped it in my workmate, then cut the top off of the thermostat  then very carefully made four cuts  inside with a hacksaw blade, making sure not to damage the thread of the housing.
With the thermostat weakened I carefully collapsed the thermostat inwards that allowed it to come out
With minimum damage to the housing thread.
I then cleaned the housing and the threads, used an anti seize compound on the threads before fitting the new thermostat .
On the part of the housing that is covered by the hose I had corrosion holes, but once fitted they were underneath the hose and no problem.
Brian 8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Spider2

« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2024, 03:48:24 PM »

Yes, not a procedure to do at the side of the road. If one is to carry a spare stat then probably wise to have ensured the old one will come out! Or accept its going to be a garage job, inwhich case the garage will probably muller the stat housing in the process. The housings are surprisingly not that expensive.
Nigel1967

« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2024, 09:54:14 AM »

yes... that's a very good idea. Maybe i'll adopt the "if it aint broke" approach.
Mine has a weld round the end in any case so possibly a past repair.
I'll replace the whole lot at some stage
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd