Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
08 September, 2024, 01:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk     -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spares to carry  (Read 839 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« on: 03 June, 2024, 05:54:32 PM »

On our recent trip to the Midlands for a 'scenic tour' HRCR rally, I noticed that some others had a great deal of spares with them. One guy with a non-starting Mini Cooper had spare ignition parts, plugs, coil, booster pack, fluids and who knows what else along with many tools. Of course, the bit that broke he didn't have a spare of.

I had a few random tools in a Sainsburys bag, some spare lamps from when we went to Belgium (even though I changed the lot to led, so unlikely to need them) and some zip ties. And a fan belt. Had me thinking that I could be a bit better prepared. Most of the ignition stuff is new and electronic so should be good but I was thinking I should get a spare coil. But what coil? A blue or red spot 123 coil? An Italian one, just because or something else? What do you recommend?

And what else to carry? Essentials really.
« Last Edit: 03 June, 2024, 05:56:32 PM by HBG » Logged
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2024, 06:30:17 AM »

Good idea to carry a spare coil as the one fitted to the car can be damaged by frequent bumps and potholes. If the Fulvia runs with standard ignition (i.e. points), the coil resistance between terminals should not be lower than 3 ohms otherwise the points will soon burn.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2024, 04:23:27 PM »

Wasn't there a long thread on this subject about a year ago? I always carry a few of the biggest cable ties I can find, which take up virtually no space but have saved me from failed exhaust mountings on a number of occasions.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2024, 08:57:59 PM »

A good quality LED head torch.

If you can’t see the problem you’ll be lucky if you can fix it!

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2024, 10:40:53 AM »

On last weeks Sliding Pillar Rally in our B12, I just took water, engine oil, a torch and a travelling toolkit which was basically screwdrivers, sockets and spanners. We carried no Aurelia specific spares.
Didnt use any of them although I was marginally concerned about our clutch after all the hill starts in N Somerset and N Devon. Its not too difficult to change an Aurelia clutch by the side of the road but as I didnt have a spare plate with me, it wasnt an option anyway and in the end the clutch was fine.
Thats Murphy's Law for you!
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2024, 06:16:42 AM »

I can't even imagine changing a clutch by the side of the road!

I think I'll fall somewhere between no spares and absolutely everything by gathering one or two smaller items. Headtorch, and coil I'll add to my list, maybe some spark plugs.
OldSparky

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2024, 05:30:36 PM »

WD40 a good bet. Also wire for hangers and a test lamp.  Oh and swarfega.
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2024, 02:21:45 PM »

As was written in a previous thread (http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10966.0) I find it useful to have one spare tire tube in the boot, or under the rear seat. For a Fulvia a tire fitter can normally order one for the next day, and you can relax in a nice hotel, but for older cars (Aurelia, or Lambda) it can get more difficult. As I always change tubes when fitting new tires, a spare tube (or two) costs nothing!

Also, if you take a spare electric fuel pump, or a nice looking ignition coil, from your stock of old parts, be sure that it is working when you put it in the trunk.....
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2024, 05:13:52 AM »

Thanks all. I'm gathering a few bits and pieces as recommended.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd