Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
21 September, 2024, 03:31:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk     -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuts bolts and washers  (Read 395 times)
Wangler
Megaposter

« on: 27 August, 2024, 10:28:36 AM »

I've never been happy with the 8 plain nuts and split washers on my S3 used to secure the intake trumpets in the air filter box. I assume they are the originals. I changed the air box gaskets recently and the nuts were definitely not as tight after 700 miles as they were when I carefully did them up. The gaskets must have compressed just enough to take some of the gripping pressure off the nuts.

The obvious potential for catastrophic damage from one working loose seems to me to be too high without a better locking method. I was wondering what the best way to eliminate the danger is. Nylock nuts perhaps, Loctite or flange nuts, or maybe those expensive, clever, but very highly rated Nord-Lock washers.

Any thoughts or experience welcome.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
dhla40

« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2024, 02:17:00 PM »

I have used nylocks and split washers as belt and braces for ten years no problem.

Sean

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
waterman42

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2024, 10:09:19 AM »

A useful post, just checked mine and was pleased to find nylock nuts, couple of them accepted a very slight tightening.

But what I also observed was the inefficient "re-entrant" plain ended intake tubes. For these the hydraulic loss coefficient is about 0.8 V2/2g, whereas without any tube, ie straight into the carb choke from the plenum chamber is better at 0.5. I'm wondering why they have these tubes, perhaps something to do with the shape of the plenum chamber, who knows. Is there an after-market bellmouth fitting? That would be an improvement on the plain tube. The ideal would be a rounded bellmouth entry with no projection but more costly to arrange on a production engine.

Hugh A
25 years an Alfa 105er
but finally an S3 Fulvia
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2024, 04:07:48 PM »

Removal of the baffle in the plenum chamber has caused problems in the past. Not sure why?

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
dhla40

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2024, 04:18:58 PM »

I think the stack pipes combined with the baffle make a longer inlet path to improve torque?

Sean

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2024, 07:00:55 PM »

I've had my series 1 2c Berlina since 1997, in that time the original fixings have never fallen off, even though they have been removed numerous times.
I have Dellorto 32  Dhlb carburettors in place of solex 32s. But use exactly the same fixings.
Unless series 3 carburettors are significantly different to series 1, I fail to envisage a scenario where a nut or washer could conceivably enter a carburetor,
You'd need both nuts and spring washers to fall off after climbing uphill on the threads, before the trumpet could move to allow ingress.
But as the bottom of the airbox is lower than the bottom of the trumpet, they would fall lower than a carburetor throat, they are fiddly to pick up if you drop the nut ot washer, so I find such a scenario improbable, and that's without considering how the trumpet would climb up the threads and fall clear.
 Perhaps there's a case for changing the spring washers, but I think we're looking to find a solution to a problem that in my experience doesn't exist.

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2024, 09:51:05 PM »

When I was racing a Fulvia I did have one nut ingested which made a proper mess of the head. But the air box was modded and that may have altered the risk, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd