Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
21 September, 2024, 08:35:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk     -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery died help.  (Read 363 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« on: 31 August, 2024, 10:43:14 AM »

I went to my garage this morning to take my Fulvia 2c Berlina to a show at Redbourne, only to find that I'd left the drivers door open! Something I've never done before.
It's 2 weeks since she was last out and the battery, a heavy duty Varta seemed to be flat, as the warning light in the trailing edge of the door would have been on.
Nothing else was on as the interior lights were switched off.
I went to charge the battery with a digital battery charger only to find that it indicated that the battery was full?
I have heard that sometimes digital battery chargers won't pull a flat battery up if it's completely discharged.
Any ideas please, as I wouldn't have expected running the battery flat would have killed it?
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2024, 11:46:58 AM »

You will probably need a good 'old school' larger type of battery charger to pull this one back from completely discharged Brian. How long did you leave the digital one connected? They sometimes need several minutes or up to an hour to analyze the battery level.

Batteries can be sensitive things theses days though, but hopefully it isn't dead.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2024, 10:29:22 PM »

You will probably need a good 'old school' larger type of battery charger to pull this one back from completely discharged Brian. How long did you leave the digital one connected? They sometimes need several minutes or up to an hour to analyze the battery level.

Batteries can be sensitive things theses days though, but hopefully it isn't dead.
Thank you, Neil,
I only left it on for a few minutes, so I'll try again tomorrow, a friend has loaned me an old type charger and if the digital charger doesn't work I'll try that,  I have a couple if weeks until the next time out at the Kop Hill Climb, when I'm running the hill again on the Saturday.
I hope it isn't dead, as Varta batteries aren't cheap.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2024, 05:05:46 PM »

Thank you, Neil,
I only left it on for a few minutes, so I'll try again tomorrow, a friend has loaned me an old type charger and if the digital charger doesn't work I'll try that,  I have a couple if weeks until the next time out at the Kop Hill Climb, when I'm running the hill again on the Saturday.
I hope it isn't dead, as Varta batteries aren't cheap.
Brian
8227 Cool
Thankfully my friends battery charger has done the job and my battery has recovered.
Does anyone have an explanation why some digital chargers won't recover a completely flat battery?
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2024, 01:54:46 AM »

Brian

What is a digital charger?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2024, 08:33:27 AM »

Brian

What is a digital charger?
A modern solid state ?electronic charger with a digital display, as opposed to the one that I'd had for many years from Halfords, that had lot of heavy components,  and a display with needle that signified the state of charge.
Sorry but I don't know how else to describe it.

Dedra Technical Adviser
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2024, 10:41:26 AM »

I suspect the modern charger has some failsafe to check there is actually a battery attached before it will operate to avoid mishaps ... and this itself relies on some minimum voltage being present. Your battery being so significantly discharged fell into this situation.

I've found this article which backs this up and may be of interest: https://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/battery-recognition.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd